Wednesday 20 April 2011

Life just gets in the way

Well,  the past 10 days have been the toughest that I have faced in a long long while. On the upside I have had in four requests for interview although I have had to reschedule three of them and pull out of one altogether. I guess it really is a case of life getting in the way of job hunting.

Sadly my father passed away last week Sunday.  I was the one who called the police to break in where they found his body in the lounge - amazing what a hunch can lead to although secretly I kept wishing that he would suddenly appear and berate me for being silly and that he was fine. I was the one that had to track down lost relatives and tell his sister that she had lost yet another member of her family. I was the one who spoke to his brother who I never knew existed but it turns out is alive and well in Manchester. I was the one who arranged a Muslim burial although I am not religious in the slightest.  The ceremony today was lovely and I do feel a lot better about things than I did last week.  My dad was certainly a character, forthright in his opinions and at times charming and at times harsh.  At least now he is at peace.

Anyway, I have to say that in terms of my job hunt which at the start of last week suddenly went up to 5th gear (a driving reference even though I am a rubbish driver 5 tests and 3.5 years worth of lessons and only driven once since I passed). The people who were due to interview me have been fantastic from agents to a chief exec who sent me a lovely email today saying that he thought I had a stand out CV and that he did not want me to pull out so would arrange a time to meet me tomorrow. I guess at times things like these bring out the best in people.   So this evening I will be swotting up for my interviews tomorrow with a glass of wine (not very Muslim but that's me all over - bacon sandwich anyone! :))

RIP Dad xxx

3 comments:

  1. I'm lousy at bereavement counselling: I always end up triggering memories of the departed. So I won't even try. But commiserations. And good luck with the interviews.

    FWIW I don't drive either. (And in the shires a bus can take an hour to get to a neighbouring town.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can ya not be an expert in bereavement counselling! I can drive and do have one of those license things just choose not to get behind the wheel.

    Blimey so you live in the middle of nowhere and have to take the slow bus to the next town - something that would drive a city bird like me bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm acquainted with several undertakers. And there's an old people's home just up the road - I bet their staff do the odd spot of counselling. In fact, they probably run a training course I could attend: "101 things NOT to say to the next of kin" - number one, "Well, you could book yourself a nice cruise with all that inheritance..."

    Yes, I too can legally drive. But all my clients are in America, so I'm holding out for a flying car. Actually, the worst thing about that bus journey is that a stop-at-all-the-stations train gets into London in an hour. I ended up turning up to the job centre with a folder of timetables so I could combat the trainee advisor.

    ReplyDelete