Friday 20 May 2011

Job hunt for 35 hours each week or else!

Haha, that's the findings from a prominent Government thinktank led by Iain Duncan-Smith.  Wow, yet another initiative that seems to stink of the Government trying to get those all important jobseekers stats down.  What I want to know is how the hell is it possible to jobhunt for 35 hours each week.  Wow if job hunting is a full time job you would technically be earning just over 50p an hour based on standard jobseekers - now what was that about the minimum wage!

There aren't enough jobs in the world plus most jobseeking is now taking place online - how the hell could you do that for 35 hours. Job hunting for someone who wants to work is not highly pleasurable as it is with some of the downsides being depression and loss of confidence as you start to question your worth and whether you are actually employable anymore.

Personally, a few focused hours is about all I can manage each day before my concentration goes and I end up surfing the net, writing a blog piece or working out what fantastic feast to cook up for dinner (the menu tonight is Thai Chicken with mango salad as featured on This Morning yesterday looked yummy).

Job hunting is a mind numbing drab process and to get the best out of it you need to not just do blanket mailouts but actually tailor your applications and letters and calls to stand out above the crowd.  Creativity takes time and I am a firm believer that I would much rather put my best foot forward by sending something bespoke that I am 100% proud of. This approach has meant that I have secured a much higher rate of interviews than many.

2 comments:

  1. You're exactly right.

    And what about the 16 hours of paid (or voluntary) work you're entitled to do? I used to burn mine doing $35 contracts. (Yes, dollars.) Once I'd accumulated $150, I'd be paid, and the DWP would save themselves a week's benefit (less £5), and I'd have a few extra quid in my pocket. And eventually, one of them let to me getting a job.

    I guess it's back to this view of JSA claimants as "scroungers". IDS is trying to convince Jo Daily Mail Reader that you're working as hard as she is, rather than living the "high life" of poverty and despair.

    BTW don't feel pressured into blogging - I was just hoping for some good news. You're so focused and organised that somebody is going to offer you a job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did do some volunteering early on this year which I really enjoyed for a cancer charity. Stopped to focus on the job hunting thing.

    FYI - I really enjoy blogging. Nowadays I listen to talk radio quite a lot so listening to lots of our at times inarticulate general public talking about various topics gives me a host of ideas to write about.

    Thinking about biting the bullet and venturing out with my own company......

    ReplyDelete