Saturday 18 February 2012

It's That Time Again - It's Interview Time

Well, 2012 is zooming past as month 2 is almost at an end.  This weekend, I am chilling and recovering from a fever that was like a hazy cloud hanging about over my mind for most of the week.  At least now I feel much more like me.

So this weekend also involves me prepping for an interview that I have next week.  Scary stuff but I am going to give it my best.  It is strange having to  update my CV the other week as having worked for 6 months I was getting used to not having to think in interview mode.  The job is to head up the team and be the big boss. It's something that I can certainly do but at times I do doubt my own abilities.  I need to get more bolshey and confident about what it is I can do, I can't help being modest but actually singing your own trumpet at times is what we all should do now and then.

Personality test done yesterday, now time to start on a 15 min presentation and swot up on all the stuff I've done in the past. God it really does get harder and harder to remember but I'll give it a go.

9 comments:

  1. Yeah, I can see the legacy of the fever - "singing your own trumpet"...?

    I have to give a presentation, too. It lasts 30-60 minutes, and takes place in front of a judge. And I have to produce the written component in the next fortnight, even though it will sit on the shelf till September. Yes, I have lost my appeal, and am going to tribunal. (I will try and blog about it, when I have time.)

    So good luck with your preparation. I've always had to grow into new roles, even when I believed I could do them. So I guess, if I were interviewing you, I'd want to see evidence that you had grown in the past, and be convinced that you could continue to grow, and develop the new skills necessary for the role. But, hey, most bosses aren't that smart, and I can't remember the last time I succeeded at an interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did it go, then? Or don't you know yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know yet. Should have heard back yesterday if I got through to next round but no word as yet. Was a bit of a strange interview - give a presentation, answer 6 general questions then that was it really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, how is your case going? Sorry to hear that you are now having to fight big time. Any ideas what you will need to do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you're in that horrible position of trying be optimistic, but not so over optimistic that it hurts when you lose. That's a difficult balance to strike.

    I think the silence is a positive thing. Even if you lose, it means you were a very, very close. But I suspect it means you'll edge it.

    Tribunal preparation has gone better than I thought possible. Their argument is manifestly silly. I have drafted a blog, and will try and get it up by the weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you still not heard back?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't get it. Great feedback but just pipped to the post so didn't make the final two. have to admit that I'm not disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I hate losing - even when it's something I didn't want to win in the first place. Sometimes it outrages me and I redouble my efforts. Other times it pushes into a depression and I have a little wallow before picking myself up determined to do better. Yeah, there are times when it helps to realise you didn't want it in the first place: I have something like that on the go at the moment, but I will be upset if somebody else takes it from me. So don't get to like losing. Keep growing until you're taller than your peers and you can bear fruit.

    BTW Feedback is only as good as the person giving it. If they're astute, then it's priceless. But I've spent years pursuing bad feedback.

    Still haven't posted blog. Too busy. Now I'm too tired.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get on with your blog you :)

    ReplyDelete