Wednesday 8 June 2011

Poor Kids, Poverty and Recession

This unemployment thing certainly makes me more aware of the people aspect to any story.  Yesterday I read an interesting research report about the recession through a child's eyes - it was enlightening as kids see things in black and white. The other thing I watched was Poor Kids on BBC 1 which showed kids living in poverty. Awful housing and going without meals etc as well as being the subject of constant bullying for being poor.  

Both things really highlighted to me some of the large scale problems that we as a nation face. You don't need to look too far too find it - I think it is just a case that most of us chose not to see it. Even though more often than not it's almost on our doorstep. 

3 comments:

  1. Growing up poor also makes you aware of the issues... ;-)

    But it wasn't till your blog that I connected my experience with the idea of unhappiness springing from relative inequality. The baby boomers love to bang on about how they had it bad, but they weren't "picked on" for using string for shoelaces - because they all did it (apparently). It's when it's just a couple of kids that they get marginalised and become bullied.

    BTW, sorry I've haven't commented sooner. But I've been a bit busy, and words have not been flowing freely. Anyway how's the business plan going, young apprentice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean too busy to comment?! What in the world can be so important? :)

    Welcome back my number 1 commentator and my business plan is still emerging like a beautiful work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's important? Well, working on *my* blog. :roll: :-P

    Still, at least I'm number one at something. Although I'd prefer it to be the Sunday Times' Rich List.

    ReplyDelete