Saturday 30 July 2011

So What Are You Worth?

One of the things that my epic job search has thrown up is the salary debate.  What am I worth?  What are others with comparable skills worth? What are those with less skills worth?  And even more importantly what will employers pay?This debate is so wide open as there are so many factors that influence how salaries are determined.
One of my friends has had to recruit a number of junior level staff in the past few months and the types of demands she has been getting are something of an eye opener.  If you want to get rich marketing in professional services firms is not going to make you super rich but they're nothing to be sniffed at either.  As companies are now on the up following the recession many are having to stump up more and more dough to keep people or inflated job titles so that people stay put just that little bit longer.
Lots of people with very little marketing experience (under 3 years) are now so delusional that they think they should command salaries in the mid 30's+ range.  Not being funny but for a junior marketing role where the buck ultimately won't stop with them that is just plain greedy.  What is the world coming too?  I guess some people nowadays have inflated egos and have lost sight of reality - something I think applies to lots of aspects of life not just salaries.
With my job hunt the salary debate has been interesting.  I am happy to drop a few k for the right role but some agents have wanted to me to drop almost £10k which would set me back years in terms of clawing my way back to where I was.  Others have said things like the salary bracket has a 10K variation and if the client offers towards the lower end you would have to take it - never heard such a ridiculous statement in my life.  The interview process is a bit like dating - a two way thing including the negotiation part.  Come to think of it if I see dating like that maybe that's why I'm always the single one :).
Anyway, take a look at some of the salary surveys  to get a view on what is going on out there.  Most of the recruiters do an annual thing each year namely as a way to have more evidence in order to turn up the heat so that people get more and more money and they get more and more commission.

3 comments:

  1. (If you're back blogging then I guess the Apprentice has finished...)

    Because I'm competing with third world programmers for bottom of the barrel contracts, I find it hard to evaluate how much I'm worth in the UK market. I might have put up an unrealistic figure at the last interview I did, and lost the job because of it; although I based the figures on adverts for similar positions (and an "I don't fancy this job" premium).

    My relationship status is a bit easier to explain: I'm poor, butt ugly, don't prioritise relationships enough to make an effort, and only fancy women who are out of my league. It's a winning combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (yes the apprentice has finished with the crazy inventor winning. He actually lives near me.)

    Yes competing with the third world maybe isn't the most sustainable way to live. Personally I have a shoe habit to keep up so third world wages just won't cut the mustard!

    Wow,based on you relationship rationale I think I may well know you or quite a few people like you:). Never give up hope you seem fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So that's what I'm supposed to do with my spare cash: buy shoes. Now the world makes sense.

    Talk to my clients and you'll discover I'm all about the triumph of hope over hard achievement. It doesn't matter how dark the place, I don't give up. And that's why I'm sure one of those hunky builders will be there for you. Good luck. And congrats, again.

    ReplyDelete