Wednesday 22 July 2009

Stats The Way It Is!

Nothing like a good pun to wile away a dull afternoon. My usual fortnightly visit to the Wood Green Job Centre Plus was today - whoopee. I didn't have to wait around for ages - at least I was seen promptly for a change.

Anyway, I was having a nice chat with the man who was signing off my form today. Turns out that whenever I sign in not only do I have to complete my form saying how I have applied for 3 jobs in 2 weeks (I can do more than that in a mere few hours but that's by the by). Anyway, it now turns out that when I go to sign in I must select 2 jobs from their job search points (basically an online job vacancy database that is so general that it has hardly any marketing roles let alone B2B ones so something that could be construed as rather pointless). I said this to the nice man that 'what's the point if I've applied for lots of jobs through other means'. He said that's what we've been instructed to do by the minister in charge.

So now I will have to go in earlier, scan through a pile of rubbish totally unsuitable jobs, select 2 and print off a slip of paper with them on. Another hurdle to go through and guess what if I don't do it - they'll stop my benefits. That will then mean that I will no longer be one of those unfortunate unemployment statistics and make Mr minister look better and hopefully stay in power for a few moments longer. Using stupid pointless exercises to try and cut the staggering rise in unemployed people seems rather ridiculous to me. Why doesn't Mr minister concentrate on sorting out the economy, providing jobs and proper support to those looking for work. That would be far more beneficial. There is no hiding from the fact that unemployment is spiralling month upon month even if they try and make so many ridiculous demands to try and encourage people to sign off from their books.

The nice man in the jobcentre agreed with my point and said that they had repeatedly stated that the hoop jumping exercises were pointless to the powers that be. Anyway, as I have time on my hands I might just start complaining to Mr Minister - nothing like a good rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment