Thursday 3 March 2011

Why Don't Recruiters Listen?

Ok, at times I admit that I am not necessarily the best listener but I know my flaws and do try not to jump in with my point of view too soon. But give me my dues, ultimately I do get the message.  You know when you are always the first one to text the guy and he does not respond or when he does it's quite a while later - I do ultimately get the message. 

If I can get the message, why is it that some recruiters can't? My CV is a bit choppy so I know that one of the things I need in my next role is to stay there for a while. In order for me to do that it means not just getting a job but getting the right job. One where I feel part of the team, my skills are appreciated and I enjoy working with my colleagues.  One where I can grow into being that inspirational marketing manager that in truth should not be too far away.  

In order to get a job that I stick out I know I can't do a role that is bid focused.  Marcomms is what I do and what I enjoy and therefore what I want to do.  Why oh why when I say this to agents do they still persist in sending me roles that are bid focused? What's the marketing/bid split I asked?  Oh 60/40.  "Ok but you know that I am not interested in roles that are primarily bid roles" I said. "Yes, Yes" was the response.  Then why send me a flurry of emails not asking about my marketing experience but asking me to list all the bids I have ever worked on with fee values when I send across my CV for a role that they want to put me forward for.  This request was nigh on impossible as I have worked on so many plus I tend to end up with selective amnesia as far as bidding is concerned.  I tend to blank things out. 

I guess agents don't listen because ultimately many are just concerned with their own commission.  Whether I end up in an unsuitable role is by the by as long as they get paid.  Just remember bad agents, that day when I do become a Marketing Manager and am looking to recruit, you will not be my first port of call.  I shall give my business to the ones out there that have listened to me when I was looking for work and ultimately respected my views.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen employers criticise them equally heavily. So I hope you get your chance to enact "retribution".

    ReplyDelete