Tuesday 23 August 2011

The Highs and the Lows of Work

Sadly money doesn't grow on trees 
Well, I've rejoined the world of work for a month now so time for that all important one month reflection. Or just another excuse for me to make another list.

Plus points

Payday - Woo hoo my first pay day is on Friday.  My bank account won't know what's hit it - eight months of a pay cheque drought has left it feeling a tad thirsty.

Company - Boy I've missed office banter, after work drinks in the pub and just being able to interact with people during the day.

Eye Candy - Always had a penchant for a geek so heading back into the world of engineering is a chance for me to indulge in my obsession.  New men to ogle now and then when the report I am writing starts to get a tad boring.

Halting My Brain Drain - Job hunting is not the most mentally stimulating thing to do.  So it's good to be in a role where my brain is being used and in some cases stretched. I do love problem solving so having to do research and figure things out is getting my old brain cells working.


The Not So Plus Points
Daytime exercise - The gym during the day (aside from lunchtime) is a much more serene place.  The musclebound meatheads who measure their biceps are still about but at least you can get to the weights machine.  Plus the tennis courts are more or less empty so no stray balls and you can just turn up and play.

Being able to do anything when ya want - Have to admit the freedom of not having to work 9 -5 will be missed.  Fancy watching a movie, get a call to do something straight away, watching car crash daytime tv - the Real Housewives of Orange County Season 6 how I miss thee; all things that you can factor in when out of work. When I go full time in the coming weeks I will certainly miss this last minute freedom as days off will have to be taken as holiday.

Enthusiastic Grads - I so need to get back into a state where enthusiastic puppies/grads and their overinflated sense of experience and knowledge roll off me like Teflon.  Why oh why does every little thing have to be debated to the nth degree.  I blame the recession for wiping out middle management and giving the puppies way too much business exposure.

Anyway, apart from a few minor niggles actually being in a position where I earn money is great. I'm on a 6 month contract but in these challenging times that certainly is not something to be sniffed at.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, but the pups keeps us honest; I've not had to constantly justify myself to people, and so I've become lazy and made some bad decisions.

    Of course, if I were in a position where I did have overenthusiastic grads, I wouldn't need to take all the unjustifiable short-cuts I've taken. It'd be, "You're right, we do need a test case. Go write it!"

    (Oh, and weren't *you* once an enthusiastic grad, arguing every point, and learning from it?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also meant to say: brain drain is not an issue for me; there are always things I can do - for an example, see my blog. (Yes, I have written one. I think that might be a sign of the end of world.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just had a thought that puppies are slang for breasts - found that strangely amusing and yes I am juvenile :)!

    Think I was more of a crazy drunken grad who went to every media party there was and was often wrecked - ohh the joy of being carefree PR totty! Did the odd bit of overenthusiastic grad stuff in between.

    @1000kindsofrain glad to hear that the writers block has subsided and that you are back declaring your views on the world - not that I've read it yet but I will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I always have time to think about breasts.

    To wit, breasts are "huge slabs of fat, often artificially overinflated, that need constant external support, and yet will only perform their true function two or three times during their lifetime." So, yep, I think you hit the nail on the head: "grads" == "puppies"

    ReplyDelete