Sunday 29 April 2012

Making Your Mark - The Perils of New Bosses

So having a new boss is a bit of a shock.  Ever the pessimist I do tend to think of the worst side of things, maybe it's my tough East End upbringing manifesting itself. But why oh why do new bosses in the words of Cartman, have to "assert their authority" aka be a control freak.

So far she is blunt, brash and seems to want to change everything without understanding the industry or the back story which to me is very very dangerous.  How can you make changes when you know nothing about the sector or company.  Construction is a funny, insulated sector and in many ways, way behind other industries such as IT. So things that work elsewhere may not have the same effect here. Only time will tell.

It's not been long so the key for me is to keep a level head, hold my tongue and not be too much of a rebel.  Whether I can manage that or not is another matter.  I know I can be hot headed, passionate and to be honest don't give a damn.  All reasons why the next few weeks are going to be very challenging indeed. I can only do my best.

The good thing is that it's not only me who has these alarm bells ringing but the people I work with and respect have the same feelings so we surely all can't be wrong. Hopefully in the coming weeks new boss will see the wood for the trees and figure out who she should be listening to. If she doesn't let the carnage ensue.....



2 comments:

  1. In all seriousness: start looking for another job. Because unless she's a certified genius, the department will be totalled before senior management notice; anyone who's a good enough bullshitter to secure the job will be good enough bullshitter to string along their bosses until it's too late.

    Otherwise, what you are doing sounds smart. Once the upper echelons realise the department is toast, they'll promote or transfer your boss, and put an interim in charge. If you can keep your head, and make yourself the "natural replacement", then I guess you'll be in with a shot. I tend to be obstreperous and confrontational when I see things being done wrong. But the one occasion I've held my tongue, organised things behind my boss's back, and behaved in generally two-faced way is the one time I'm in with a shot. :-( However that person is hanging on when they should really retire, so the experience may not transfer to your case.

    Anyway, you can learn a lot from failure. And car crash management makes a great blogs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, car crash work will make for some great blog posts. I am looking forward to it. As long as my work colleagues who I respect and care about aren't shafted I will be fine.

    Although, new boss lady has been trying hard in the past week to be more friendly even though it is not her natural nature. Our last boss was a people person,this one clearly is not.

    She is focussing on things she knows which are systems and not the industry so lots of things will ultimately fall apart. Oh well, I've started my job hunt and am figuring out what I want to do next. Not desperate so will do a lot of thinking in the next month or so. Head down and try to keep my gob shut!

    ReplyDelete